55th Supervisory Board Meeting: NLB Group posts EUR 57.9 million net profit in Q1 2019
24 May 2019
Today, on 24 May, the Supervisory Board of NLB d.d. met at its 55th meeting and discussed the NLB Group operations in the first three months of this year. The trend of stable and profitable operations in the NLB Group continues. The Group generated EUR 57.9 million net profit, which is comparable to last year’s Q1 net profit (Q1 2018: EUR 57.7 million). The contribution of subsidiary banks in the SE European Markets to the NLB Group result was 33.7%. For more details on the NLB Group operations in Q1, please refer to the Interim NLB Group Report, which was published today. On Tuesday, 28 May, at 17:00 all interested stakeholders can follow a webcast presentation of financial results live on this link.
Total net operating income amounted to EUR 133.8 million, representing a 3% increase YoY (Q1 2018: EUR 130.4 million). The increase is based on higher net interest income (6% increase YoY), and net fee
Total costs amounted to EUR 69.0 million and were 1% lower YoY. The Cost-to-Income Ratio (CIR) stood at 51.6%.
The volume of gross non-performing loans dropped by EUR 43.1 million YtD (-7%). The NPL share dropped to 6.3%, while the internationally comparable NPE ratio (in line with the EBA guidelines) dropped to 4.3% and was close to the mid-term target.
Capital ratio (CET1, Tier 1, and Total capital ratio) for the NLB Group at the end of March remained high, reaching 16.6%, which is above all regulatory requirements. As already published, on 6 May 2019 the Bank successfully issued Tier 2 bonds in the total nominal value of EUR 45 million, which additionally strengthened and optimised its capital on individual and consolidated basis.
The Supervisory Board welcomed NLB’s second credit rating upgrade to investment grade. Standard and Poor’s acknowledged the efforts to stabilise business results and the decisive steps taken to improve asset quality. This is an important milestone adding to the greater confidence of all stakeholders, and confirming the ambitions of NLB to become the main regional bank in the countries it operates in. The Supervisory Board also established that despite the challenging economic environment of low interest rates the NLB Group is on the right track to meet its medium-term targets.
Members of the Supervisory Board also took note of the reports for Q1 submitted by the Bank’s experts and granted consent to transactions requiring Supervisory Board approval.
Supervisory Board of NLB d.d.
NLB Group in first quarter of 2019
Product Facts & Figures
We are focusing on providing the best user experience and setting new trends with our innovative solutions. We want to offer our clients the right solutions, at the right time, and in the right place.
Mobile wallet NLB Pay:
- Our innovative solution is available to our clients in three NLB Group members – in Slovenia, NLB Banka Sarajevo, and NLB Banka Skopje;
- Cash withdrawal and insight into the status on Maestro and Mastercard cards can now be done on contactless ATMs in Slovenia and abroad, for individuals and entrepreneurs alike.
Mobile bank Klikin:
- The number of users has exceeded 202,000, which is 64% more than in the same period last year;
- More quick loans have been concluded in the mobile bank Klikin than in any NLB branch, proving that our clients are ever more inclined to digital ways of doing business.
Mobile bank for entrepreneurs Klikpro:
- The number of users has reached 19,000, which is 45% more than in the same period last year;
- Our services Quick loan and Quick limit are becoming increasingly popular.
NLB Skladi, the largest asset management company in Slovenia, has increased its market share to 32.2%.
We are actively searching for opportunities for international cooperation with large companies in the SEE region (cross-border project financing), due to partial lifting of some of the limiting commitments by the European Commission.
CSR Facts & Figures
NLB Group is aware of its responsibilities as a systemically relevant financial institution. We wish to contribute to a higher quality of life in the region.
Promoting financial literacy
- We have prepared financial and entrepreneurial workshops for more than 450 participants.
- More than EUR 15,454.00 in the former Slovenian currency was collected in 85 NLB branches in Slovenia for Slovenian breast cancer association Europa Donna.
- NLB Banka Podgorica and fans of Buducnost Voli basketball team donated funds in support of maternity hospitals in Montenegro.
- NLB Banka Serbia donated furniture equipment to a health clinic in Jagodina, and warm winter clothes to a homeless center in Belgrade.
- NLB Banka Prishtina organised activities in support of persons affected by Down’s syndrome, and donated gifts for the children of the Non-Governmental Organisation Autizem.
- NLB Banka Sarajevo donated funds to Foundation Junuzovic for renovation of the clinic for children’s diseases in Tuzla.
- NLB Banka Skopje donated packages for children from Sumnal – Association for Development of the Roma Community in Macedonia.
- The initiative NLB Sports for Youth supports local sports clubs throughout Slovenia and promotes sports and healthy lifestyle amongst young people.
- We supported Macedonian Special Olympics team attendance at Special Olympics in Abu Dhabi, where the team won eight Olympic Medals.
Supporting Art and preserving Cultural Heritage
- We are regularly preparing exhibitions in NLB Gallery Avla in Ljubljana – in the first quarter of 2019, we hosted an exhibition of old photographs from the decades after the Second World War, titled “Greetings from …”.
- In the main branch of NLB Banka Sarajevo in Tuzla we hosted a photo exhibition, celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Women’s strength organisation, entitled “We are Alive.”
Caring for employees
- NLB Bank in Slovenia has been awarded with the prestigious certificate ‘Top Employer’ for a fourth consecutive year, thus confirming that it invests extensively in knowledge and development of all employees.
- NLB Banka Sarajevo has become the second most desirable employer in the financial sector and among the Top 10 employers in BiH.